Ekk!!! This is my first real post about one of my projects. I’m so excited to share it with you all! Let me start by saying that I LOVE doing home DIY projects…it’s almost therapeutic for me. Weird, I know but what can I say?! There’s just something so satisfying about seeing my ideas come to life.
I have done quite a few projects over the past few years, and I’ve always contemplated starting a blog but I just never got around to it. Sooo here I am! My plan is to start from my most recent projects and work my way backwards. Basically, the recent projects are fresh in my mind and it will be easier for me to remember everything that I did…I’m all about easy!
Alright so let’s get started. I wanted to update my fireplace from the day that I moved in, but I just couldn’t figure out what the heck to do with it. Over the past few months I did some research (mostly on Pinterest.com and Houzz.com) trying to find pictures that inspired me. I finally decided on whitewashing the stone and discussed this with Gerry, but of course he said NO. I don’t think he had much faith in me so I put it on the back burner for a few weeks. On Saturday he went fishing REALLY early and of course he woke me up before he left. I couldn’t fall back asleep so I did what every girl should do at 3am when she can’t sleep…I went on Pinterest! I ended up finding a post by Infarrantly Creative which showed exactly what I wanted to do to my fireplace. My mind was set so I hit up Home Depot first thing in the morning and bought my supplies. I ended up buying Behr Interior/Exterior Satin Masonry, Stucco & Brick Paint in white for the stone. I’m pretty sure that you can use plain white latex paint as well. I also bought Rustoleum High Heat paint in black for the inside of the fireplace.
Here’s what I started with:
Notice all of the nasty black soot on the bricks and stone…yuck!
I started out by mixing one part paint to 2-3 parts water (I just kind of eyeballed it). I didn’t want to make my stone completely white, I just wanted to cover up some of the dark colors that I wasn’t too thrilled about. I then covered the entire floor with brown painting paper. Warning! This stuff is VERY watery so the paint splatters all over the place. The good news is it wipes up pretty easily even if it’s already dry. Then I just started painting….
Then I knocked out the inside. The Rustoleum paint went on pretty quickly but it did have a potent odor. Just make sure to open the windows so that you have good air circulation.
Notice the ugly gray tiles in the picture above. I ended up just painting them with the whitewash as well. It looks ok, but I may end up putting nice tile over it in the future. I don’t really have a good picture of the tiles so you’ll just have to take my word for it 🙂
Now for the finished product…
I can’t even explain how happy I am with the final product. It turned out exactly how I imagined. Even Gerry likes it…he’s learning not to doubt me 😉
And here is the room completely put together
I ended up adding the two mirrors (from Target) and I made the two “C” pictures out of canvas, burlap and spray painted wood letters. Just in case some of you are wondering about the other furniture the brown leather chair, ottoman and rug (which I got on clearance from $150 down to $50…score!) are also from Target. The tan chair is actually part of my couch, hence why it doesn’t really have a side, and the lamp is from TJ Maxx.
Before and After!
I hope you all enjoyed this post! Sorry it’s so long I’m still getting the hang of the whole blogging thing. Please let me know if you all have any questions!!! My next post will be about the backsplash…here’s a little sneak peak 🙂